When I was making this cake I really wanted it to have all the richness and the moisture that goes along with a traditional (gluten, non-vegan) chocolate cake. That moisture really comes out with the addition of applesauce, and the magic of mixing vinegar with a milk alternative. This recipe yields a super moist and rich cake, packed with the finest chocolate. I hope you enjoy!
1 Cup milk alternative
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
2 Cups gluten free flour
1 3/4 Cups granulated sugar
3/4 Cup GDC cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 Cup avocado oil
2/3 Cup unsweetened applesauce
1 Tbs pure vanilla extract
1 Cup boiling water
1 Cup GDC cocoa powder
1 1/2 Cups softened vegan butter
4-5 Cups powdered sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4-1/2 Cup milk alternative
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine milk and vinegar, then set it aside to work its magic.
3. Whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
4. Add oil, applesauce, vanilla and milk/vinegar mixture. Mix on medium speed until well combined.
5. Pour in the boiling water, mixing until combined. The batter should be on the runny side :)
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
*Cool completely before frosting.
1. Whisk cocoa powder in a large bowl to remove any clumps.
2. Combine the softened butter with half of the powdered sugar and half of the milk. Slowly add the remaining powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Mix until fluffy.
3. Frost the cake and enjoy!