Homemade Trail Mix Recipes
Trail mix may just be one of the absolute easiest things to make at home. Simply gather your ingredients and give them a stir to mix it up! Store bought trail mixes may be abundant, but they’re often filled with inexpensive ingredients and only a little bit of the best things. By making your own trail mix at home, you’re able to customize it to fit your every desire. If pecans are what make you smile, go nuts!
Homemade trail mix also makes a great gift! Package up your custom blend in a cute container and share it with your friends and family. A simple way to make something unique for the folks in your life.
We have outlined a few of our favorite combinations below, but trail mix can be almost anything you want it to be. We recommend making it with a blend of protein-packed nuts to keep you full, dried fruit, flavorful seeds, and always, at least little chocolate.
This marks the first in a series of recipe posts highlighting the experiences and recommendations of our cast of characters. We’ll share how the recipes worked for each of us and/or our own take on how to dress it up a little. Keep an eye out for new recipes coming your way about once a month!
Deconstructed Wally Bar Mix from Jody Dotson Hayden, co-owner of GDC
Wondering where Grocer’s Daughter Chocolate gets so much heart and a commitment to all things sustainable? Look no further than Jody! She’s often behind the scenes, helping GDC improve and grow in a humane, ethical way . When she’s not working on all-things chocolate, you’ll find her hiking, chasing her two boys or planning her family’s next adventure.
1 cup 81% Calceta dark chocolate discs
1 cup roasted, salted cashews
1 cup roasted unsalted almonds
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup roasted, salted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
- I chose to make this mix because I love our Wally bar and it seems like a healthier alternative to sugar-laden granola bars. I used 81% dark chocolate to reduce the sweetness but you could easily use 70% or even 64% if you prefer.
- I'm a big fan of both sunflower and sesame seeds but these little guys will end up at the bottom of your package, which is really just sad because they are truly so tasty. To solve this issue, I simply give it a good shake before I grab a handful. If you’re up for adding another step, you can candy the nuts and seeds together in maple syrup to make clusters. Problem solved! Plus you also have delicious candied almond/cashew/sesame/sunflower nut clusters to munch on. You're welcome.
- Do you like a higher fruit to nut ratio? Have at it. Change the ratios of the ingredients to suit your taste.
Cherry Almond Ginger Trail Mixfrom Christina Marbury
Christina is a chocolate-lover, dedicated baker and Grocer’s Daughter’s digital marketing lead. When she’s not working magic in the kitchen, you can find her along the shores of Lake Michigan, in the woods or tending to her garden.
1 cup Chocolate covered cherries
1 cup Chocolate covered almonds
¼ cup Chocolate covered ginger
1 cup Roasted hazelnuts
1 cup Cashews
1 cup Almonds
1 cup Dried cherries
- I’ve got a serious sweet tooth, so I created this combination to satisfy that craving for something sweet while still providing a good serving of protein to keep me going.
- Even dipped in chocolate, crystalized ginger packs a punch, so I’ve added just a little to the mix for an occasional burst of flavor.
- Want something completely decadent? Caramelize the almonds with maple syrup and a little powdered ginger for an added note of sweetness.
Brain Power Mixby Aubrey Henschell
Aubrey keeps the creativity flowing on Grocer’s Daughter’s social media accounts with her gorgeous styling and eye for a great image! When she's not taking photos of chocolate, you might find her cooking up something scrumptious, swinging in a hammock on the beach or making bath salts and lotions for her side business, Lagom Wellness.
Chocolate covered cacao nibs
Chocolate covered almonds
Chocolate covered espresso beans
- This blend of power-packed nuts and chocolate indulgence with a caffeine kick is sure to give you the energy you need to get through the week.
- Mix this blend up however you please, choosing your own amounts to make something truly your own!
Don’t Forget The Chocolate!
Did you notice that we all think trail mix is made complete with the addition of a little chocolate! Whether you want to sprinkle in some of ournibbling discs or your favoritechocolate covered item (or five!), a little Grocer’s Daughter Chocolate is sure to take your trail mix to the next level.
Stop in the shop orplace an order online to get your homemade trail mix ingredients!